The Voice just wrapped up the Battle Rounds of its seventh season. (This show airs twice per year, so yes, we’re in season seven.) The talent is strong and diverse, and the coaching panel is the best it’s ever been.
As always, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton act as bookends. I think they’ve both really honed the craft of being a good coach and playing the game of The Voice over the years. I also enjoy their faux-argumentative antics. This season, they’re joined by Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams. That’s right – a team of fresh-faced hopefuls get to be coached by the one and only Pharrell, maker of stars.
I love Gwen and Pharrell on this show. They’re pals, so their dynamic together is incredibly charming and warm. They’re enthusiastic and they’re smart. I’m excited to see them keep working with the teams they’ve assembled in the live rounds.
Over the past three episodes, Taylor Swift helped coach each performer through a Knock Out Rounds performance. She was fantastic! I couldn’t believe what specific, useful advice she managed to give each and every artist. I’ve had her album “1989″ playing on repeat since it came out. I think she’s a charismatic performer, a unique songwriter, and an all-around icon of my generation. Her work on this show just displayed how hard she must work, and how well she knows her stuff. It also showed that she can and does sing on key, as she’d often burst into song to illustrate her points.
If you’ve watched The Voice in the past and haven’t been following this season, TUNE BACK IN.
The ones I’ve got my eye on:
- Jean Kelley (Team Pharrell), who absolutely nailed her performance of Sia’s hit “Chandelier”.
- Reagan James (Team Blake), who sang “Hit ‘Em Up Style” in the Knock Outs. It will never stop being a surprise that she is fifteen years old.
- Taylor John Williams (Team Gwen) (or as he’s known in my household, “hat kid”) whose version of “Mad World” is so great I might buy it.
- Damien (Team Adam), who most recently sang “How Do I Live”.
- Taylor Brashears (Team Blake), who I consider to be the best country artist in the group. She sang “Landslide” this week.
- DaNica Shirey (Team Pharrell), who most recently sang “Saving All My Love For You”. A couple weeks ago I was worried she was dressed like a real estate agent and came across to buttoned up on stage, but she looked better this week and her voice is truly amazing.
Tags: The Voice