Welcome to What To Look Forward To!
Here is a quick look at some highlights on the shelves this week. Marvel’s Secret Wars continues with a big list of tie-ins, and I’ve included a list of TPBs I recommend. It seems like a pretty small week as far as number of titles, but there are some major books coming out. Let’s take a look…
Avatar: The Last Airbender Vol. 10: Smoke and Shadow, Part One – Written by Gene Luen Yang; Art and Cover by Gurihiru
- I hadn’t read any of the Avatar comics until a couple months ago and I couldn’t wait to get more! They’re just as good as the show, but they seem a bit longer than standard episodes run. Volume 1 picks up right where the show left off, and it continues from there. They’re also continuity-based, so if you haven’t read the previous books, this is not a good jump-on point. But check out the rest then pick this up, it’s definitely worth it.
Gotham by Midnight #9 – Written by Ray Fawkes; Art by Juan Ferreyra; Cover by Bill Sienkiewicz
- I’m bummed this series is ending, but I think it had a good run. I recently finished rereading Gotham Central, and I remembered how much I like these “behind-the-scenes” type Batman stories. Hey DC, more please!
Peanuts: Where Beagles Dare! – Written by Jason Cooper; Art and Cover by Vicki Scott
- Who doesn’t love the World War I flying ace? Now starring in his own OGN, we get a new tale of Snoopy and his time in The Great War!
The Hellboy 100 Project – Art by various (see below)
- 100 artists come together to celebrate Hellboy with this collection of one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn or painted covers, from artists like Rafael Albuquerque, Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon, Art Baltazar, Dave Bullock, Walter Flanagan, Jenny Frison, Agnes Garbowska, James Harren, Jeff Lemire, Emi Lenox, Francis Manapul, Bill Sienkiewicz, Ben Templesmith, Jim Zub, Mike Mignola (of course), & many many more!. According to the Dark Horse website, “This book will NEVER be reprinted, and all proceeds go to Hero Initiative and comic book creators in medical and financial need!” Get yours soon! Available in HC or TPB.
Wild’s End: The Enemy Within #1 – Written by Dan Abnett; Art by I.N.J. Culbard; Covers by I.N.J. Culbard, Jake Wyatt, Rob Guillory, & Jeff Lemire
- The first series was pretty good, and I’m interested to see the follow-up. It looks like you may need to read the original if you haven’t already, but it’s only six issues and the TPB is out in a couple weeks!
Other issues to look forward to: Batman ’66 #27 (also getting cancelled?!), Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps #4, Harley Quinn & Power Girl #4, Rumble #7, We Are Robin #4, Wolf #3
If you’re having a hard time trying to find new stories, check out these HCs & TPBs soon…
Avatar: The Last Airbender Vols. 1-3 The Promise
Avatar: The Last Airbender Vols. 4-6 The Search
Avatar: The Last Airbender Vols. 7-9 The Rift
Hexed Vol. 1 The Harlot & The Thief TPB (new this week)
Hellboy Vol. 1 Seed of Destruction TPB
Orphan Black Vol. 1 TPB (new this week)
Black Widow Vol. 3 Last Days (new this week)
Howard The Duck Vol. 0 What The Duck TPB (new this week)
Gotham Central Vol 4 Corrigan (check out my review of these Gotham Central here!)
(For more recommendations, see previous “What To Look Forward To” TPB sections, starting from 06/10/15)
While I won’t be keeping up with Secret Wars myself, check out Paul Miranda’s Secret Wars Declassified for all the details and what’s been going on. Here’s a checklist of all the tie-ins coming out this week:
- 1872 #3
- Captain Marvel & The Carol Corps #4
- Ghost Racers #4
- Inhumans: Atillan Rising #5
- Old Man Logan #5
- Secret Wars #7
- Runaways #4
- Weirdworld #4
- X-Tinction Agenda #4
- Years of Future Past #5
Looking for even more recommendations? Wanna just talk about comics? Find me on Twitter @4ColorPhil
That’s it for now, happy reading everyone! See you next week.
Tags: What To Look Forward To