- Detective Comics #983 – I’m really tempted to give Bryan Hill’s debut issue a shot, but knowing that this title is about to go up a dollar in price, and that in September James Robinson is taking over for a guest arc (interrupting Hill’s run, or filling in before a new writer takes the reins?) all work against me getting it.
- Kill or Be Killed #20 – Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips latest masterpiece reaches its conclusion, and I’m hoping we finally get to find out if there really has been a demon at work behind the events of this title, or if the poor main character is just delusional.
- Last Song #2 – It has been a really long time since the first issue of this Black Mask series came out, but that hasn’t dampened my enthusiasm for it. This is a great series about friendship, music, and fame, and I’m sure it’s been worth the wait.
- Multiple Man #1 – Matthew Rosenberg is very good at playing with the oddball characters in the Marvel universe, and I feel like he is the right person to do something new with Jamie Madrox. I’m hoping it’s going to be as good as his 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank…
- Shadow Roads #1 – I’m very happy that Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt are returning to the world of The Sixth Gun with this new series. The FCBD issue got me interested, so I’ve been looking forward to another instalment in their magical Western world.
- This is also a good week for perennially pleasing titles like Descender, Outcast, Saga, Sex Criminals, Stray Bullets, Wicked + Divine, Black Panther, Doctor Aphra, and Marvel 2-In-One.
It’s been a busy couple weeks, I have a few series to catch up on.
- Kill or Be Killed #20 – The finale! I’ve enjoyed this series from issue 01, and I’d say I’m sad to see it go but it feels like it’s going to come to a good ending and there are so many other Brubaker/Phillips/Breitweiser series to catch up on. Plus, they’ve got their first OGN coming out this fall to look forward to.
- Sex Criminals #25 – Arc finale! I like that Fraction and Zdarsky make sure we get a complete arc before taking a break, but hopefully it isn’t too long before the series returns.
- Wild’s End Vol. 03 – I cannot say how glad I am this series is getting it’s third volume, and hopefully not it’s last. Given that the last issue of the second arc came out over two years ago, I was beginning to think we’d never get a conclusion.
- Batman Beyond #21
- Batman: Prelude To The Wedding – Harley vs. The Joker #1
- Descender #31
- Detective Comics #983
- The Flash #49
- Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps #47
- Royal City #12
- Saga #53
- Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #21
- The Terrifics #5
- The Wicked + The Divine #37
- BATMAN PRELUDE TO THE WEDDING: HARLEY VS THE JOKER #1 – It was a little strange that we seem to have parallel Joker stories running in BATMAN and the in PRELUDE TO THE WEDDING one-shots. For the most part, I have enjoyed these specials. Not sure they have really built a lot of hype for the wedding, but they put a great spotlight on the characters. I do think DC overcomplicated things when they suggest a few years ago that there were three Jokers running around, but they seem to have just decided to ignore all that.
- MULTIPLE MAN #1 – Multiple Man was in the first X-Men comic I ever read, so I’ve always had a great fondness for the character. I am glad they have once again realized he’s too good a character to keep dead. I hope that this leads to more Madrox stories.
- MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1 – I can’t believe Power Rangers has been around for 25 years! So far they have been pretty tight lipped about if they will be doing anything special in the current Power Rangers TV series to celebrate. But the comics have been terrific. The preview I read supposedly draws a connection between NINJA STEEL’s Mick to Alpha 5, so I am real curious about that.
- MAN OF STEEL #5 – I am typically a Bendis fan, and I have enjoyed the way he’s written Superman, but dear god is this slow paced. It really feels like this story has been moving at a glacial rate. GET ON WITH IT!!
- BLOODSTRIKE #23 – I thought BLOODSTRIKE #0 was a great way to refresh the reader on who these characters are. I loved BLOODSTRIKE and BRIGADE when I started reading comics. Glad to see Image giving these books another shot. I miss 90’s era fun comics.
- MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #7 – The Annual that came out in the last few weeks did an awesome job recontextualizing the relationship between Reed Richards and Doctor Doom. With a new FANTASTIC FOUR series coming out soon, MARVEL TWO IN ONE seems to be a pretty important Marvel series and definitely worth checking out.
- QUANTUM AND WOODY #7 – Oh my god!! Did our heroes die last issue?? Well, probably not, but it was still a great issue and a even better cliffhanger. I expect a lot of weirdness in this one, but that is par for the course when it comes to QUANTUM AND WOODY.
- MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR #32 – That last issue which was one bad anti-smoking PSA was a total disaster. But for the most part, I like this series. I am amazed that it has lasted as long as it has. It is great that Marvel has supported this book for this long.
- Pestilence A Story Of Satan #2
- Astro City #52
- Batgirl #24
- Batman Beyond #21
- Detective Comics #983 (
- Flash #49
- Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #47
- Silencer #6
- Teen Titans Special #1
- Terrifics #5
- Wonder Woman #49
- Legenderry Red Sonja #5 (Of 5)
- Sonic The Hedgehog #6
- Hunt For Wolverine Mystery In Madripoor #2 (Of 4)
- Infinity Countdown Darkhawk #3 (Of 4)
- Moon Knight #196
- Ms. Marvel #31
- Old Man Logan #42
- Sentry #1
- Star Wars Doc Aphra 21
- Star Wars Lando Double Or Nothing #2 (Of 5)
- Thor #2
- X-O Manowar #16
9 books this week.
Batman: Prelude to the Wedding Harley Quinn vs. The Joker #1
Detective Comics #983
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #47
Harbinger Wars 2 #2
Man of Steel #5
Teen Titans Special #1
Wonder Woman #49
Tags: Pull List Roundtable