- Amazing Spider-Man #2 – I enjoyed issue #1 and Peter Parker embracing his adulthood. If this series will be bi-weekly, I’m not sure I’ll stay on. Not a fan of Marvel cramming bi-weekly books, books priced at $4.99 in some cases, and restarting series at #1 every 2 years. I really like writer Dan Slott’s work on Amazing Spider-Man, but Marvel’s editorial and business model irritates me.
- Batman and Robin Eternal #3 – This is by far, with only 2 issues in, the best weekly series that DC has ever put out. Solid story and great art from the 2 different interior artists so far. I hope issue #3 continues the momentum… and answers the question about where Damian Wayne is.
- Green Lantern: The Lost Army #5 – So sad to see that this series will be ending. Writer Cullen Bunn and artist Jesus Saiz have been faves of mine for years. I also found this story compelling. At least DC will pick up the threads of Lost Army in Green Lantern: Edge of Oblivion by 2 more creative faves of mine: writer Tom Taylor and artist Ethan Van Sciver.
- Ivar: Timewalker #10 – Sad to see this series ending. However, am always glad to read the adventures of one of or all three of the eternal Anni-Padda brothers.
- Journey to Star Wars The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire #4 – The comic book prequel to the Christmas 2015 Star Wars VII film concludes. This series feels like it’s a weekly series for Marvel, but it’s just the last 3 issues that shipped in tight clumps.
- Justice League #45 – Darkseid War. ‘Nuff said.
- Superman / Wonder Woman #22 – I’m a big fan of Pete Tomasi as a writer and his frequent collaborator Doug Mahnke. This should be another amazing issue that bring the most depth to the characters of Superman and Wonder Woman than any other book on the stands.
- Teen Titans #12 – I’m not sure I’m interested in the post Kenneth Rocafort era of this series. Plus the next book on my list will likely satisfy my Teen Titans sweet tooth.
- Titans Hunt #1 – Pretty excited about this new series. The secret history of the first Teen Titans of the New 52 will be revealed. Dick Grayson as Robin and others did band together earlier, so why don’t they remember? All will be revealed in this post-Convergence augmentation to DC’s core continuity.
- Wonder Woman #45 – I’ve been reading the Finches run on WW due primarily to the journey of Donna Troy. Not sure how much longer I’ll be on this book as I imagine Titans Hunt will get me my Donna Troy fix while Superman / Wonder Woman satisfies my WW cravings.
- Astonishing Ant-Man #1 – I didn’t mind Nick Spencer’s work with this character to date, although I didn’t like the way he dumbed Scott Lang down, and ignored so much Marvel continuity (i.e., his daughter being de-aged and de-powered, as well as memory-wiped; his relationship with Darla from FF being ignored completely). I hope that Spencer finds a way to reconcile his take with what’s gone before, and deliver a good story that’s not interrupted by a gigantic event.
- Book of Death – The Fall of X-O Manowar #1 – These Book of Death tie-ins have not disappointed me yet, so we’re going to find out if Valiant can go 4 for 4 with this one. I’m betting they can.
- Invincible #124 – This issue launches a ‘Reboot’ arc, which appears to have Mark return to the beginning of his journey as Invincible, just with all of his memories intact. I have no idea what Robert Kirkman has planned for this arc, but this book is always enjoyable, so I’m down.
- Journey to Star Wars: The Longest Title Ever: With the Most Colons #4 – I didn’t expect that the last three issues of this title were going to come out weekly, but I’m not mad at it, as this has been one of the more battle-based Star Wars comics we’ve seen at Marvel, and I love a good space fight or two.
- Karnak #1 – I don’t mind the Inhumans stuff at Marvel (although I’m not reading any of them at the moment), but I am pretty excited for Karnak for two reasons. One, I always thought he was one of the more interesting members of the royal family, especially after the Jenkins/Lee series, and two, because this comic is being written by Warren Ellis. I have high hopes for this book, while also not expecting Ellis to be around past six issues.
- Shield #1 – Not to be confused with S.H.I.E.L.D (which is also coming out this week), Shield is part of Archie’s Dark Circle line. This book was supposed to come out a while ago, and they are finally getting around to releasing it. I really enjoy Black Hood and The Fox, so I’ve been waiting for this and Hangman for a while.
- Titans Hunt #1 – Another of Marvel’s Pre-52 books. Superman/Lois was great, and I am really looking forward to this one. As a fan of New Teen Titans, I really want to see what Dan Abnett can do with these characters.
- Back To The Future #1 – I honestly have no idea if this will be any good, but I pretty much have to buy anything Back to the Future. It is one of my favorite film series and we’re celebrating the 30th anniversary. They are also doing a big three-movie marathon in certain movie theaters next week (happy birthday to my cousin Melanie, who is also a huge Back to the Future fan!!)
- Invincible #124 – Even though it was teased for a while that the lead in to issue 125 was going to involve Invincible going back in time to when he first got powers, I still thought the end for issue 123 had a huge impact. Really curious where they are going with this. I can’t imagine Kirkman going a huge reboot, but who knows what happens next. I can imagine Mark definitely has some things in his past that he would want to change if he had the chance…and now he does.
- Astonishing Ant-Man #1 – Ant-Man was such a good series that a friend of mine who once said he hated Nick Spencer has now come around to liking him. And we know people on the internet NEVER admit to changing their minds, so this should tell you how awesome the series is.
- Karnak #1 – I have zero interest in the Inhumans, BUT I love Warren Ellis, so I will be holding my nose and buying this series. Hopefully it will be light on other Inhumans elements. If nothing else, Karnak has always had cool powers, and with Ellis onboard, this should be a real cool book.
- Voltron From The Ashes #2 – I was looking forward to this series, since I like Cullen Bunn’s work quite a bit. I will admit the first issue didn’t quite win me over. There was a lot of cool ideas there, but they never really came together in a clear way. Hopefully this issue will shed some more light on what’s going on here.
- Star Trek #50 – I can’t believe we’re already at 50 issues. This comic is set in the Star Trek “new universe” and has done a great job expanding on Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness. Since these movies seem to take forever to come out, this is about the only way we can enjoy the new Star Trek universe. I don’t know what they have in mind for issue 50, but I hope this series lasts for a long time.
- Amazing Spider-Man #2 and Invincible Iron Man #2 – While I did enjoy both of these books, I am kind of getting sick of Marvel double shipping comics. It makes it real hard for me to keep up with books. Even worse, Journey To Star Wars The Force Awakens Shattered Empire released three weeks in a row. Come on Marvel, give the readers’ wallets a rest, or I’m going to be forced to stop being a customer.
- Secret Wars – More Secret wars series come to an end this week. 1872, Age of Apocalypse, and Weirdworld. They are also releasing a one shot called Agents of Atlas. Seems a little odd to release more Secret Wars books when the Marvel relaunch is already started in full force, but Marvel is dragging this out as long as possible, I guess.
- OXYMORON: LOVELIEST NIGHTMARE #2 (of 4)
Yet another scenario where I was semi-curious about a title but couldn’t be bothered to buy it, let alone peruse through it. Good thing I changed my mind!! I was able to find the original mini on Comixology and the first issue of this current one. The warped mind of a serial killer obsessed with contradiction is maddening for the detective pursuing him.
- SUNFLOWER #1 (of 6)
451 Media Group’s second-ever series!! I investigated their website over the weekend. It’s really interactive and touches upon all media. The presumed-dead-but-actually-alive is the premise for this mini. I say nothing more!
- BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL #3
- BLACK CANARY #5
- DR. FATE #5
- GOTHAM ACADEMY #11
- JUSTICE LEAGUE #45
- MARTIAN MANHUNTER #5
- SECRET SIX #7
- SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #22
- WONDER WOMAN #45
Francis Manapul does the cover and interiors for the next installment of ‘Darkseid War’. WOOT WOOT!! All the other offerings are just as delectable. I’m seeing double with my gal WW
- HIP HOP FAMILY TREE #3
The hits keep on coming! Get it? Grandmaster Flash is about to strike gold!
- MISTRY, P.I. #4 (of 5)
The mini is near its end. Go go, Graphic India!!
- BACK to the FUTURE #1
The modern cult classic is too hard to ignore!! This is the 30th anniversary. What more adventures can Marty get into and how will Doc keep him from screwing up??
- 1872 #4
- AGE of APOCALYPSE #5
- SECRET WARS: AGENTS of ATLAS
- WEIRDWORLD #5
The only new content in this little pile is Agents of Atlas. As the event nears the home stretch (at a frustratingly slow pace), the tie-ins reach their timely conclusions.
- ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1
Scott Lang is more resilient than people realize!! Who cons the con?? The teaser image of Scott siding with questionable characters is a fake-out. Or is it??
- KARNAK #1
This is the sleeper, rather knock-out hit for ANADM. Warren Ellis promises to turn up the insanity with this surly studious recluse. The Inhumans universe has really branched out with this background/supporting character ready to point out the flaws in everything and everyone!
- UNCANNY INHUMANS #1
Inhumans and Nuhumans in peace and harmony. Well, not exactly. The search continues as the cases of exposure to the Terrigen Mist increase. Black Bolt is back leading the pack. A good mix of new and old.
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2
- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #2
Double-dose of Marvel’s Big Two!! I feel like this is a rigged race. Axel Alonso wants Shellhead to shatter the stratosphere. I want Webhead to remain at the top of the flagpole.
- DARTH VADER #11
- JTSWFA: SHATTERED EMPIRE #4 (of 4)
I didn’t expect the lead-in to the next film to be on an accelerated schedule. That’s a bonus for all the fans. The Dark Lord continues his machinations.
- BOOK of DEATH: FALL of X-O MANOWAR
- RAI #11
Valiant continues to stand out!! Their titles are superior to many other indies due to careful consideration of the characters and the ginormous talent pool. I’m glad I have discovered their titles upset emoticon
Tags: Pull List Roundtable