DC Rebirth is upon us:
- Week One saw the debut of DC Universe Rebirth #1 and its massive reveals (spoilers here)!
- Week Two saw the debut of the critically acclaimed Batman Rebirth #1, Superman Rebirth #1, Green Lanterns Rebirth #1 and Green Arrow #1 (spoilers here).
- Week Three greeted readers with Aquaman Rebirth #1, The Flash Rebirth #1 and Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 (spoilers here).
- Week Four saw Titans Rebirth #1 hit stands anchored by a returning Wally West Flash (spoilers here).
- Week Five was an extra “fifth week” of comics that saw no special DC Rebirth one-shot released.
- Week Six saw Justice League Rebirth #1 had the New 52 Justice League accept the pre-Flashpoint Superman as Rebirth’s Man of Steel (spoilers here).
- Week Seven saw Nightwing Rebirth #1, with a prominent Batman appearance, and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth #1 land on stands (spoilers here).
Week Eight sees us with Batgirl and the Birds of Prey Rebirth #1 and The Hellblazer Rebirth #1 one-shots hit the stand.
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey Rebirth #1 spoilers and review follow.
The book opens with Batgirl foiling some criminals and realizing that…
…they were sent by a new Oracle!
This worries Batgirl as she recalls her time as Oracle…
…due to be being crippled for a time by the Joker from the classic The Killing Joke.
As we saw in the preview pages of Batgirl and the Birds of Prey Rebirth #1 (please see here) a wheel-chair bound Barbara Gordon embark on a super-hero career as hacker and digital over-watch Oracle.
Now she wants to get the Birds of Prey back, particularly co-founding member Black Canary, to find out who the new nefarious Oracle is and shut them down.
At the same time Huntress, who debuted in-costume in Nightwing Rebirth #1 (spoilers here), is hunting mafia members and…
…while Helena Bertinelli’s Huntress wants a mob member dead, Batgirl and Black Canary need him alive to track down this new villainous Oracle.
A battle, a civil war of sorts by the yet-to-form Birds of Prey ensues while…
…the new Oracle watches on!
A well drawn issue with an intriguing storyline including a natural meeting by Huntress, Black Canary and Batgirl. This looks to be one of DC’s stronger Rebirth offerings.
The Hellblazer Rebirth #1 spoilers and review follow.
A demon wants to keep John Constantine, the Hellblazer, out of London so he was cursed with… cold-like symptoms!
However, Constantine has an idea about how to get rid of the curse!
We also get words with the page below that was released as part of DC Comics’ preview of The Hellblazer Rebirth #1 (please see here).
Who is this mystery woman being drawn to the Hellblazer?
Constantine confronts the demon that curse him and while he cuts his own wrist to lift the curse, it has unintended consequences…
…damning all of London with same symptoms!
As was the case earlier in this article, we again get words with the page below that was released as part of DC Comics’ preview of this issue (please see here).
We see the curse travel through London…
…as Constantine seems to be stalling letting the demon pontificate!
He was! His physic “friend”, the mystery woman from earlier, Mercury was his secret weapon!
Knowing the demon’s name and Mercury’s help allows Constantine to lift the curse and cast the demon out! And all is right in London again!
An interesting element from earlier in the issue was the surprise appearance by the Justice League’s Wonder Woman and Shazam (is he even still on the team during Rebirth?) and Swamp Thing.
For some reason Swamop Thing wants the Justice League to give John Constantine space to fix the London problem – which he eventually does – and surprisingly Wonder Woman agrees. So, why does Swamp Thing want to help the Hellblazer? A mystery to resolved in the future.
Moritat is one of DC’s top artists. He’s art is well worth the price of admission alone. So glad he’s back! The story itself was intriguing and quirky just like Constantine himself. This issue was a solid read!
Tags: Batgirl, Birds of Prey, DC Comics, Hellblazer, Rebirth